ATEG Archives

May 2005

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 20:43:48 -0500
Martha,

Thanks so much for your note. Yes, Frogner's article is a summary of her 1939 dissertation. I have a copy of Harris's dissertation, so I'll check to see if he uses this term. I have seen this term "the thought approach" used so often, from the 1930s through at least the 1950s, but without any explanation, as if it was obvious to everyone what was meant. I thought it must have been a well known term or pedagogy at the time--but it doesn't seem to have been. Ed Schuster emailed me and said he had never heard of it. It seems to have been just a loose term that signified more or less the opposite of structured grammar drill.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Tim

Tim Hadley
Graduate Assistant, Graduate School Fellowships and Scholarships
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University