ATEG Archives

May 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 00:14:17 -0400
Central to this debate is the question of what traditional grammar is.  There is no single unified description of English that is widely accepted as traditional grammar.  Because of this gap in the literature, traditional grammar is rather more a body of beliefs about English that varies from teacher to teacher and from grammarian to grammarian.  There is a considerable literature on how much variation and even contradiction there is in how writing teachers deal with grammar in their students' writing.  The term "traditional grammar" has a sort of mythic status.  It is one of those memes that we think with rather than about.  We assume we all know what the term means and agree on it, but we don't contest the meme, which is what grammarians need to be doing.

Herb