ATEG Archives

March 2013

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:10:35 -0500
Colleagues,
I for one am heartened to see this discussion.  I don't mean to digress
from the original question, but I think it unfortunate that it's too
difficult to find recent articles and research on the paragraph.

As Dick and others point out, paragraphs are over-rated in many
ways--such as how they are too often seen as micro-versions of an entire
text.  But they warrant continued study if for no other reason than
they're still an important unity of discourse that students and teachers
ask about.   I often have graduate students want to know more about how
to teach and understand paragraphs, esp in regards to research on the
topic.  The vast majority of research was of course done decades ago,
and I don't think Braddock and the other fine scholars said all that
there is to be said about the subject.  But with very few exceptions, I
continually have to send students to research done in the late 70s and
early 80s if they want to understand the 'state of the art' in
composition in this area.  I know there is a good deal of research that
in one way or another is relevant to paragraph unity and structure
that's been published in recent years, but very little dares to focus
directly on these issues.

As Bob Connors similarly lamented years ago in terms of comp research
on stylistics, I'm sure one reason the meager paragraph suffers as a
research or publication topic is that it has the stigma of seeming to be
a simple mechanical issue that doesn't seem suitably scholarly, esp from
the perspective of other members of the academe, esp other members of
the English department. I get that, but I hope our research and
publications can still give an important topic the attention it still
deserves, stigma or not.

Sorry for the digression, but I hope this sort of thread will remind us
all that the notion of paragraphs--esp in terms of publications--is
still worthy  of serious study and discussion.

I also apologize if I'm repeating what somebody else has already
addressed.  My internet has been out for a couple of days and I'm
playing catch up on emails and haven't read everything on this thread.

Larry

____________________________
Larry Beason, Associate Professor
Director of Composition
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Office: 251-460-7861
FAX: 251-461-1517

>>> "Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]> 3/10/2013 5:20 PM >>>
Craig is so right about the discovery process of writing. Leslie Marmon
Silko
said once in an interview that she writes to find out what she knows. I
love
that idea. As a writer, I find this aspect of writing the most
enjoyable
andintresting. However, as important a lesson as this is, we can rarely
get
it across to our student, who have lots of additional pressuresin their
lives
beyond getting their English assignments done well.

Most of the time, high school students write too quickly, and often at
the last
minute - for numerous reason (not just laziness, as some might assume).
They
rarely revise or edit unless forced to do so (which means in class, in
front of
their teachers, which takes up a good deal of class time). Few of them

understand the beautiful irony of Mark Twain's message: “I didn't
have time to
write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” A great many of
the papers
we get from our students are those "ZERO drafts" Craig references. How
do we
ease the pressure to produce enough so that students will spend quality
time to
produce those "short letters?" There is also pressure on us teachers to
have
enough "product" (a.k.a."artifacts") to justify grades, etc. Time is
often the
enemy of good writing and good teaching.

Thanks,

Paul
 "If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable
fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).