ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:05:58 -0600
Good definitions and reservations Johanna.

The conjugations fit into a formulaic chart, but the everyday
_usage_ of English verbs does not follow the chart in any way tidy
and formulaic.

But does this necessarily lead to a conflict between traditional and
linguistic grammar?

The fact is, the chart exists and is intelligible; no harm in studying
it.  Fact is, usage diverges from the chart in countless interesting
ways.  Let's study everything about grammar.

R.E.