ATEG Archives

April 2010

From:
Lorraine Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:25:09 -0600
He asked me.  [Yes, it is a complete sentence and grammatically
correct.]

Combined? - Either is correct, depending on the context.  If it's an
ongoing concern, #1 is fine.  If Judy's going to school is in the past,
#2 is correct.

Lisa found someone on the net WHOM she could ask.  [Yes, whom is still
alive and well.]  Placement of the relative pronoun is a matter of
clarity.  This is clear.   "Lisa found someone whom she could ask on the
net" would be less correct because "on the net" is too far away from
"someone."  The prepositional phrase should be as close as possible to
the noun/pronoun being modified.

The New York sentence -- If you use "them," you have two sentences.
"Which" creates a dependent clause, so the punctuation is correct as
written.

>>> Wendy Liu-劉立萍 <[log in to unmask]> 4/27/2010 9:20 PM >>>
Hi, I am a new subcribers of ATEG.  I teach English as a foreign
language in Taiwan. And here i have 2 questions about grammar would like
to invite your comments.

Hi, I have a question about reported speech as below

The question on a quiz shown
He asked me.  ( Actually, i don't think this is a correct sentence. )
How does Judy go to school every day ?

The quiz asked students to combine these two sentences into one.

Should we say " He asked me how Judy goes to school every day " OR  "
He asked me how Judy went to school every day. "

Which is better ? or more used ? more correct ?

Here is another sentence. "  Linda found someone on the net who she
could ask. "

I knew that both " one the net" and " who she could ask " modify "
someone ", but i am tied by the grammar rule " we put the relative
pronon right after the noun we want to motify ".   In this case, who
clause modifies someone, but it was not put after someone. Is there an
available rule to explain this sturcture ?

By the way, in this case i think they mean the same but just by
different functions. right ?
Linda found someone sho she could ask on the net . ( on the net here is
an adv phrase to express where to find)
Linda found someone on the net who she could ask. ( one the net here is
an adj phrase to modify someone )

Additionally, here is another sentence.
" There are a lot of interesting things in New York, most of which are
hard to forget.
Why is it not most of them but most of which ? and the relative pronoun
is very far from the noun it tries to modify ?

All the grammar books and exercises i have said that the relative
pronouns go together with the nouns they modify.  Does anyone know any
grammar books which can explain above two structures ?

Thank you for your time.

Wendy Liu