ATEG Archives

September 2004

From:
Linda Comerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:37:29 -0500
John,

As a former middle school English teacher who, after
teaching writing skills in college, finally found her niche
in consulting on writing and grammar in the business world,
I echo your sentiments!  The adults I work with in my
seminars have either negative memories of learning grammar
in school or no memories at all.  They are delighted when
they can finally learn how practical grammar and punctuation
add clarity to their business documents and e-mails for
their readers.

When a class discussion would come up about their former
exposure to grammar or lack thereof, I had no explanations
as to why or how grammar was or wasn't being taught in
schools.  So I really appreciate the NCTE information you
included in your message to Gretchen.

Ed has let me know that the NCTE Conference this year will
be held in Indianapolis, which is where I live.  I was
planning on attending, but I would appreciate a bit more
background on what to expect if I do.  What is their current
position toward teaching grammar?  If it's like what I've
been reading from Gretchen and Jo, count me in.  If,
however, it will be anti-grammar teaching, that won't be
useful to me.

Does anyone know what to expect for this conference overall
and if it would benefit someone teaching writing and grammar
in the business world?

Thanks!

Linda Comerford
Comerford Consulting