ATEG Archives

October 2001

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:35:53 -0500
Brock,
Many thanks for the congratulations.  I would not have found the highly interesting and useful study by Kantz & Yates had it not been for the ATEG website, so my thanks to you (or whoever) is responsible for the site and the biblio.

BTW, I think  this is the first article on error to appear in CCC in  some time--and the first in even longer a time to point out reasons for avoiding errors (speaking of CCC only, of course).  I think it's a great credit to editor Marylin Cooper and others that the composition field seems increasingly willing to publish such research and, unless I'm mistaken, offer more sessions at CCCC devoted to error, usage, and grammar.

I'm not sure if my own study will have much impact, but I think it is part of a larger trend toward a willingness to re-considering the study of error.

I hope.

--larry beason

>>> "Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]> - 10/7/01 10:22 AM >>>
I have just read and enjoyed Larry Beason's article, "Ethos and Error: How
Business People React to Errors," in the current issue of College
Composition and Communitcation (53:1, Sept. 2001, pp. 33-64).  The article
explores the negative images about writers that fourteen business
professionals derived from examples of different errors.

The Works Cited list also includes the first reference in CCC that I can
recall to ATEG--Margaret Kantz and Bob Yates' paper on "Whose Judgments? A
Survey of Faculty Responses to Common and Highly Irritating Writing Errors,"
presented at the 1994 ATEG Conference (and available on-line at
www2.pct.edu/coures/evavra/ateg/p5n13.htm).

Brock Haussamen