ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:46:15 -0600
I just ran across a very interesting reference to grammar while researching,
of all things, some ideas I have about teaching poetry.  In a course I took
this past summer, the instructor frequently referred to readings and
exercises from a book called "The Poet's Companion" (Addonizio and Laux),
which I just checked out of the library for further reading.  In the "The
Poet's Craft" section of the book comes an amazing chapter on grammar - a
"Grammatical Excursion" - that takes practicing poets on an exploration of
how to use grammar to actually create meaning!  This approach relocates
grammar from a tool used only at the end of the writing process ("grammar in
the context of writing") into part of the entire process of invention itself
- writing, if you will, in the context of grammar!

Great stuff!

Geoff Layton

Live.com page.
http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701