ATEG Archives

January 2009

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:47:15 -0500
I usually recommend either dictionary.com (free--includes American Heritage usage notes, among others) or Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage (on the strength of languagelog.com endorsements).  I've just started assigning MWCDEU to some of my upper-division classes, and I find it to be accessible, credible, enlightening, and easy to use.

Beth

>>> Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]> 1/25/2009 5:18 PM >>>
I'd like to hear what members recommend when they are asked about guides to
usage and style.  The people who ask me typically are not academics and do
not want textbooks.  I myself tend to go to the online Chicago Manual (which
you have to subscribe to).  Any other good ideas?  In retiring two years
ago, I find I did too good a job of not bringing books home from the office!