ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:14:02 -0500
Gretchen Lee wrote:

> What's a middle school teacher to do?  My goals are to help my students write
> better.

Everyone on this list wants her students to write better.  Although we
all agree that control of standard written English, I think that we do
not place it as our top priority.  Gretchen, could you provide us with
some aspects of your students' writing that you would like to see
improved.

As someone situated at a university who is just about ready to begin
teaching a composition class today, I have the same goal, but I have a
feeling what I hope to improve in my students' writing is different from
your goals.  If you wish, I would explain my goals, too.

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University