ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:25:54 -0700
Quirk et alia call the operational principle the "attachment rule."

Nonfinite clauses without overt subjects are by default assumed to refer
to the subject of the matrix clause.

While I can sort of accept #2 as referring to the master shivering, it's
not the normal reading, and I would consider that interpretation rather
forced and awkward. #3 brings that out clearly, given the inherent
unlikelihood of a poodle reading (outside a work of fantasy).

#4 can refer to the master because it's neither non-finite nor subjectless.

Karl