ATEG Archives

May 2001

From:
shun Tang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 12:05:23 +0800
Jeff,

You wrote:
> A single brick is essential to a brick building, but it is not useful
(except for
> sending messages through windows or holding down tarps) unless it is in
the
> companionship of mortar and other bricks.

My reply: This is a most sensible example. Likewise, a tense is essential to
a sentence, but it is not useful unless it is in the companionship of other
tenses/sentences. Tenses are used to connect the time between sentenceS,
which I call paragraph. It is a fault to analyze a tense by way of a single
sentence, as most present-day grammars do.

Present Perfect in one single sentence "I have bought many things" may have
implied a lot of meanings. We may spend days to explore its usage and
implications, pondering how it is different to Simple Past "I bought many
things". It is, however, like counting the use of a single brick.
But there is no such thing in a paragraph (more than one sentence):
Ex: Yesterday I saw a new department store open around my home. I bought
many things from it.
== Simple Past is compulsory, used to connect to the time of the former
sentence. It is the true use of a tense. Likewise, the true use of a brick
is seen in the companionship of other bricks. We may argue that a brick can
be sometimes used as a hammer, or sending messages through windows or
holding down tarps, but at least we have to state its main use first as you
do.

Nevertheless, since using many sentences to explain a tense seems
troublesome, present-day grammars prefer to keep on one-sentence basis. This
is convenient, but results in more troublesome than they can imagine. They
obviously miss the true use of tense.

Shun
englishtense.com