ATEG Archives

July 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2010 08:59:21 -0400
Bill,
    I'm reminded of David Milroy's point in the opening of his book that
many adults can't find the subject in the opening sentence of the
Declaration of Independence and, as a result, have difficulty with the
meaning. The complexity of the sentence may be a factor.
   Even coming from the usage-based side, I would be surprised to find
out that the passive isn't part of the basic toolkit. Of course, most
students don't understand the concept of passive, and  many English
teachers seem confused about it as well. Typically, my students coming
to college will tell me a passive sentence is a sentence in which not
much happens. If you give them pairs like "We were robbed at gunpoint"
and "His clothes were dusty", they will choose the second as the passive
sentence. Grammar checks also confuse the issue by signaling well formed
passives as possible errors.
    If students don't read well, is that at least partly because of
grammar? I think so, but we haven't looked closely at that because the
prevailing view has been that the grammar is already there or will
arrive on its own.

Craig