ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
"Kathleen M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:37:17 -0800
I had one of the strangest experiences of my teaching career
yesterday.  One of my students from last term's English Grammar class
saw me in the library and said she had enjoyed the class a lot; in
fact, she had done tree diagrams over the winter break for fun.

So I guess tree diagrams are less off-putting than I had thought.

I prefer the tree diagrams myself, with the addition of functional
labels when necessary.  The RK diagrams are not terrible for simple
sentences (although I dislike the equation of determiners and
adjectives) but, when you get to complex sentences and non-finite
clauses, they quickly take on a nightmarish aspect.

Has anyone else looked at The Straight Dope column on "how to diagram
'See Spot run'?" It's in the archives at www.straightdope.com.  Very
funny