ATEG Archives

May 1996

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 09:30:53 -0700
Here at North Seattle Community College we teach a freshman-sophomore
level grammar/writing course that uses old-fashioned Kellogg-Reed
diagramming as a principal teaching tool for the grammar part.  (For the
writing part, we use sentence-combining.)  We have written our own text
for it, and I could possibly send you a copy if you let me have your
address. In trying to peddle this text to publishers, we have learned
that there's very little enthusiasm out there for sentence-diagramming,
and you can probably epect a bunch of replies challenging the idea that
diagrams are realiable representations of how sentence structures create
meaning.  Most modern grammarians believe that phrase trees do that much
bettrer.  We find, though, that, once the sentences are created, diagrams
are very helpful in unbderstanding how they work.

Martha Kolln's book (not RHETORICAL GRAMMAR, the other one, whose name
escapes me -- UNDERSTANDING ENGLISH GRAMMAR?) daoes show diagrams.

GOod luck.

Michael Kischner
North Seattle Community College
Seattle, WA 98103