ATEG Archives

October 1999

From:
SIRAISI Tomio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 14:49:42 +0900
Dear ATEGers,

A friend from Australia has commented on the following sentence (1)
that this is understandable but not grammatically correct.
But I think it IS grammatical, though it is formal (quite formal?).
What do you think?
(1) Which do you think is larger, the population of Tokyo or that of New
York?

To tell the truth, this is a translation from a Japanese passage.
An American translator translated into
(2) Which do you think has a larger population, Tokyo or New York?
while an Australian translator put it into (3)
(3) Which do you think has the larger population, Tokyo or New York?
Can we say both "the larger population" and "a larger population"?

How about the following one?
(4) Which has more people, Tokyo or New York?

Thanks in advance.

SIRAISI Tomio