ATEG Archives

May 2005

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 20:58:59 -0500
Dear ATEG colleagues,

A few weeks ago Amy Benjamin, president of ATEG, sent out a request for a volunteer to assume the duties of the editor of Syntax in the Schools, the official journal of ATEG. I volunteered, and I am happy to announce that my application has been accepted by the board and officers of ATEG. Beginning immediately, I will be serving as the new editor for SiS.

It would be appropriate to thank Anne Lobeck and Kristin Denham for their service to ATEG as editors of SiS. They brought a high level of scholarly expertise, editorial knowledge,  and professional zeal to their tasks, and the quality of SiS reflected their commitment to excellence. Thank you, Anne and Kristin, for all you did to keep SiS a high-quality professional publication.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I am finishing a Ph.D. in Technical Communication and Rhetoric at Texas Tech University, where I have specialized in issues related to writing, composition pedagogy, and the rhetoric of grammar. My dissertation research will interest some of you: I am (among other things) arguing that the conclusions of Braddock (1963) and Hillocks (1986) regarding the teaching of grammar were, by and large, selective (mis)interpretations of the available data, designed to reach a predetermined conclusion opposed to the teaching of grammar.

During my time at Texas Tech I have taught courses in freshman composition and technical writing. I have also served as assistant director of the University Writing Center, and I am currently working as a research assistant in the Graduate School. I am also a freelance professional technical editor and technical writer.

I am still technically a graduate student, but, alas, I am not as young as that makes me sound. This is a second career for me. I am 55 years old and a grandfather (pictures upon request), with 20+ years experience in college-level teaching. I have been very fortunate to sort of "stumble into" one of the top technical writing programs in the nation here at Texas Tech, and I will graduate with a Ph.D. in the fall, at which time I will be seriously interested in finding a full-time job <hint>.

I'll be attending our conference in Chicago in July, at which time one of the conference sessions will be devoted to a discussion of what we can do to improve our journal. I will gladly receive, then or now, any suggestions and input you may have for the journal/newsletter. Because of the transition to a new editor, the next issue of SiS is tentatively scheduled for the fall. Marshall Myers, our book review editor, has several book reviews ready to publish, but I'm not sure if we have any submitted articles. So, let me make my first solicitation as editor: WE NEED ARTICLES. Please do not think that you can publish an article in SiS only if it is at a "scholarly" level. We also need, and will publish, practical articles that contain teaching tips, at any level, dealing with K-12 language arts as well as college-level composition-which happens to be right in line with the theme of our conference this year.

So, if you have articles to submit, please send them to me at this address:

Tim Hadley

Holden Hall

Box 41033

Texas Tech University

Lubbock, TX  79409

I'll be hoping to hear from many of you in the coming days about issues that interest or concern you regarding SiS, or ATEG in general. Please contact me at [log in to unmask]

See you in Chicago,

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University