ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:28:14 -0500
Paul or anyone,

I once had my advanced grammar students read this list as one way to prepare them for professional discourse and thinking on grammar.  Now, I am too ashamed of this list, and I'm afraid that just deleting posts does nothing to make this a better forum and site for people new to the professions we represent.  If it were just me reading, fine.  I could just ignore and delete.  But in an age of electronic communication, these discussions represent our disciplines in ways we perhaps cannot imagine.  Even people who have never been ATEG members scoff at what they have heard of our 'discussions' and mean-spirited posts. I worry about what little credibility we have left.

Honestly, is there anything else that can be done?  I'm not wise in the way of the politics or technical logistics of a list, but I'd really like to have my students see intelligent discussions of grammar, language, and learning.   What we're seeing too often is far from representative of the thinking of our field--or the thinking and collegiality of the majority of ATEG members.   Still, the list is becoming defined in terms of unproductive, personal attacks, and I could not recommend it right now to anyone, other than Dr. Phil.

Larry

Larry Beason
Associate Professor & Composition Director
Dept. of English, 240 HUMB
Univ. of South Alabama
Mobile AL 36688
(251) 460-7861
>>> "Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]> 08/28/10 8:33 AM >>>
Carole, John, et all,

There is no good purpose to responding to to uncivil e-mails.  I've said it
before, and I repeat it here, the best response to the devil is silence.  The
more we engage with rude postings, the more of them will be posted on the
listserve.  The "Delete" button is a good friend.

Paul
 "If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable
fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).