ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
diane skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:45:56 -0700
I agree, especially with your last sentence: "In "I did escape," did
is an auxiliary and escape is the main verb, not a direct object, "
and with Herb's final sentence:
"I think in 'I did escape,' "did" has to be the emphatic use of the
auxiliary verb "do," and "escape" is the main verb."  Both of these
explanations were what I had in mind when I questioned substituting a
pronoun, i.e., "it" to locate the noun in John's original sentence:
" I did escape, but my escape was short-lived."

Diane