ATEG Archives

May 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 11:45:49 -0400
Warren,
   I have a lot of respect for the frustration you might be feeling and
for the questions you are raising.
   I think there is a big difference in having short term goals (like
passing a standardized test) and bringing a potentially excellent writer
along the next, reasonable step, and I think much too much of education
chooses the first over the second. (I can appreciate the pressure you
feel to have your students succeed at those goals, especially since it
reflects directly on you.)  I don't think, for example, that it matters
if a sixth grader writes sentence fragments.  The bigger question might
be how to put that student along a path that will make the idea of a
sentence fragment very clear long before it does matter or should
matter. To me, that would be recognizing the core of a clause and how a
sentence builds and expands around it, and the different kinds of
meaning nuance that result from playing with the arrangement of those
constituents, and how sentences carry a meaning forward as they add
something new, but there are certainly other approaches, and I have
never taught sixth grade.
   I teach something like "How to write under time pressure" in my
writing classes, in part because it is a useful practice in school and
students can benefit from developing strategies for it and walking with
some confidence into these situations.  But part of that means admitting
that you have to give up certain activities, like drafting and revising,
that would produce better writing if you had more time.  There's nothing
wrong with a five paragraph theme, but students are often told that this
is the right or correct way to write, which is both silly and wrong.  If
you offer it as a somewhat narrow or restricted approach that might be
enormously useful in a crunch, then sure.  But I don't think the five
paragraph theme is at all the foundation for excellent writing. Give it
to them as a tool, but not as the "right" way.
     If writing is purposeful, then it should surely be organized and
unified, but at what point do we settle on those purposes and meanings?
 Should I write a thesis statement long before I have thought all this
through? Am I supposed to stifle those facts that seem to be whispering
that I'm wrong? Can I use a draft as a way to help feel out
possibilities?  Does this have to be a one size fits all approach, or is
there room for different  approaches?
   Your students may have trouble writing sentences, but they have been
speaking complex grammar all their lives.  If they just write quickly
and naturally, the sentences will come, though my experience has been
that they'll be very weak when it comes to punctuating or tightening or
rearranging, since speech doesn't give them practice with revising or
reshaping their words.  I like to go top down, to deal with the big
issues first, making decisions about subject, perspective, audience,
organizing and arranging, cutting and adding, and so on, in part because
sentence revision decisions should be made in harmony with the whole
text. The whole enterprise should be about bringing the writing into a
clearer focus. Too often, students are used to correcting their
sentences and leaving a mediocre essay fundamentally unchanged. When
Nancy Sommers did research on it, that's exactly what she found;
experienced writers revise their meanings, and inexperienced writers try
to improve the forms.
   Have you thought about finding writing the students really like and
looking closely at how it is organized? If they are being asked to write
nonfiction, are they also reading it and admiring it when it works well?
    In my writing class this semester, I used the Best American Essays,
and we got a lot out of finding things to borrow or steal. They are
purposeful and organized and coherent and developed and engaging, and
it's interesting to look at how that happens.
    All my life, I have worked with students who are not supposed to be
writers, but I have never accepted that.  They may give up on it, but I
won't.
    You seem passionate about giving all your students what they really
need. The key question, I think, is how to get them ready to jump some
hurdles without losing sight of much larger possibilities. I think you
can do both.

Craig