ATEG Archives

April 2010

From:
Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:51:56 -0400
Dear Marshall and Martha,

Thanks very much for your replies. Since this example will be used by students as an authentic text to demonstrate quotation marks in their presentation tomorrow, and I myself am not 100% certain about my analysis of the usage, I am very grateful for your second opinions.

I wondered about placing a comma before the quote, but then the comma would suggest to me that "in dealing with Iran" could be construed as a nonessential phrase. I have frequently noticed nonessential structures that come after a coordinator or subordinator being set off by a single comma after the phrase; given the trend toward minimizing commas, the comma before such phrases is frequently omitted when the phrase follows a word already set off by a comma. Does either of you agree? Or is my analysis faulty?

Thanks,
Natalie