ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:47:43 -0500
Nancy,

Indeed "troops" has always been treated as a collective noun and still is (Today's NY Times: "U.S. Troops Set for Final Attack on Falluja Force," and my 10-year-old dictionaries show it only in that sense. What you missed is that newspapers and TV news reports now also use the term in a non-collective sense, as in "Over 1000 American troops have been killed" and "23 Troops Ambushed in Kirkuk."

I suspect this was originally a convenience for headline writers. "Troops" is shorter than "soldiers" and covers all military personnel. The curious fact is that I have seen it used in print for as few as two persons but, to my knowledge, never for one. Bill McCleary's quotation from a soldier ("You're a good troop") is an indication that this may now be changing as well.

Dick Veit