ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
Julie Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:32:38 -0600
I actually think there might be some civil answers to Brad's questions.

Concerning the multiple choice questions, it seems to me that the test questions need only add something like "of the answers given below, which is standard English?" or "...which is most correct according to formal standard written English practices?"  Then all the other "right" answers, the ones not provided in the multiple choice list, can be considered but not worried about, since they aren't "given below"...And as always when we're composing, whether it's a test or an argument essay (or one-line diatribe), we need to ask about audience. What population of middle schoolers would have trouble with the given lists? What population of middle schoolers would NOT understand the implied "given below"?  I think that question is the key to the answer to Geoff's huffalump below. Those who want to know, or care, and why bother, has to do with the middle schoolers who might NOT get the implied "of the answers given below," and would therefore be penalized in local and national rankings. Who are they? What will happen to them if they sit at their desks thinking, "The right answer isn't even in the list so what should I do? I don't know what to do and they're going to get me if I do nothing or if I do it wrong, but the right answer isn't there." Who needs to be their advocate?  Do we let questions like this do the socioeconomic-stratification thing they often do, or do we step up to H-F and suggest more careful posing of test questions? I think Brad's correct that somebody should advocate for fair tests, or at least for tests that fairly examine knowledge of conventional English usage in the middle schools.

Just a start on a perhaps more civil discourse regarding a real issue.

Julie

>>> "Geoffrey Layton" <[log in to unmask]> 08/15/10 3:06 PM >>>

Who wants to know? Who cares? Why bother? And other standard responses to Brad's questions!

Geoff Layton