ATEG Archives

January 2009

Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:39:58 -0500
From: Scott [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 12:30 AM
To: 'Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar'
Subject: RE: Whatever happened to?

N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD
Professor Emeritus (ret.)
history & languages

For some weird reason, the computer decided that I had already sent this
message and the URL bounced it.

Scott

I had two interesting (to me) incidents this weekend while I was consulting
people on names at a Highland Games in Metro Orlando.

The first was when I realized that I had stated that, historically, Galician
was a dialect of Portuguese--in lieu of the opposite.  I caught my error
immediately and stated, "I stand corrected: the opposite is true."  The lady
asked why I had said "I stand corrected"; she had never heard the term and
her ancestors had been here over a century.  Has this expression passed from
use?  Am I the lone user?

Number two at the same Games was a person asking what "in lieu of" meant.
Both appeared to be educated Caucasians from the Middle Atlantic states and
were around 50.

Comments?

I do not often say or email "I stand corrected" but I very frequently say,
'in lieu of.'  I use 'stead' principally in expressions such as 'in his
stead.'

N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD
Professor Emeritus (ret.)
history & languages

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at: