ATEG Archives

October 2004

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:35:34 -0400
The subject of the relative clause is "who" (the relative clause has a
compound verb phrase). The antecedent of who is "someone."

On the other hand, a comma is generally not used before "and" in a basic
compound verb phrase, so one could read the comma as signifying that the
"thinks with" verb phrase as compound with "is someone..." instead of
with "does not follow..."

Richard Veit
Department of English, UNCW
Wilmington, NC 28403-5947