ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Carolyn Hartnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:40:38 -0400
Connie Weaver is right about mainstream publishers' reluctance to handle
anything but traditional grammar.
If you want documentation regarding weaknesses of college composition
handbooks, I could offer you the text of a presentation I made at the CCCC
meeting in Minneapolis in April, titled New Paradigms for Our Composition
Handbooks.
The handbooks are up to date on how to cite Internet sources, but the
student pages ignore even ideas on grammar suggested in the Instructor's
Annotated Edition.  They seldom cite linguists, and I could not find Brock
Haussamen's name anywhere.

I did this research because I had prepared a brief alternative handbook on
editing based on Systemic Functional Grammar without its terminology. When
I got fed up with mainstream publishers, I went with Parlay Press, and even
they wanted me to separate rhetoric from grammar.  If you're interested in
my Meaning First: A Functional Handbook of Fifty Ways to Polish Your
Writing.  The address is Parlay Press, P. O. Box 894, Superior WI 54880,
Phone/Fax (218)834-2508, [log in to unmask]

Carolyn Hartnett
Professor Emeritus, College of the Mainland
2027 Bay Street
Texas City, Texas 77590-6414
Phone/Fax (409)948-1446