ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 21:13:11 -0500
Bill makes a point that Robert King made in his 1997 Atlantic Monthly article "Should English be the Law?" (Vol.279,Iss.4;p.55-62).  He concludes that legislating English to be the official language of the US is a solution in search of a problem.  This is one of the readings that I used in the class project I described below.  I also used James Crawford's Language loyalties: a source book on the official English controversy.
Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1992.  Crawford includes articles, essays, etc. from both sides of the debate.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University