ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2011 14:51:10 -0500
John,
    Thanks for reminding us again.
    To me, one value of this list is that it brings together people with
different kinds of experience and expertise. Most importantly, it
brings together teachers and linguists, groups that have much to gain
from sharing their perspectives with each other. It is also a place
where, historically at least, we have encouraged any and all
questions, no matter how naive, from people who would like to take
advantage of that expertise and experience. That only happens when the
    When the list works well, we are able to entertain more than one
perspective on an issue. Lately, that hasn't always been the case.
Even when we believe we have the "right" answer, we should remind
ourselves that everyone has the right to weigh in on a topic. It's not
just respect for other people as people, but respect for the way that
truth develops when we hold back our judgment and listen respectfully
to each other. Other lists I am on have a narrower interest base than
we have here, and that can create tension, but it can also be a great
strength. For me, at least, the highest levels of civility don't
always happen without effort, and I have sent posts over the years
that would have been better if I had waited a day or so. That seems to
me what ethics are about--a call to our better nature.
   We all have personal agendas, but the list is not about them, and it is
wrong to put the list in jeopardy by insisting on a narrow conversation
about a narrow agenda. We have to respect the agenda of the list, a
forum for the interchange of ideas about the teaching of grammar.

Craig

 And the discussion group gets smaller. We lose members after every other