ATEG Archives

January 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:46:34 -0500
Craig,

I agree we've pretty much exhausted the topic.  We are working within different ways of thinking about such topics, and that does cause a little talking past one another.

The question of theme and relative clauses is interesting.  Halliday has it mostly right, except, of course, for including relative "that" as thematic.  The development of wh-relatives in the 14th and 15th cc. represents the introduction of theme into relatives, since in earlier stages of ME they didn't occur.  It's curious that wh-relatives developed twice in the history of English, and for about the same reasons.  In the 10th c. church-trained scribes who also wrote Latin began introducing questions words into relative clauses on the model of Latin, where interrogative and relative pronouns are identical except for four out of thirty different case/number/gender forms.  The Latin forms all have initial "qu-," which is cognate to English "wh-," but the Germanic languages, like Greek and much of the rest of Indo-European maintained a distinction between labiovelars like wh and qu for question words and dental, like t, d, and th, for determiners.  This use of wh-words for relatives came to an abrupt end in the 11th c. after the Norman Conquest, when William closed the scriptoria and stamped out the official writing of English.  Curiously, when English began to be written again in the later Middle Ages, in the 13th c., writers, who were generally still educated in Latin, once again began introducing wh-pronouns into relative clauses.  None of this argues for your position or mine, but it's interesting that thematicity spread into the relative clause construction in this way.  That-relatives represent the older, non-thematic structure of relatives.

I've avoided using tables in email, because email spacing tends to be unpredictable, but a table of English relative clauses is revealing.  I'm not supplying the sample sentences, although I can send you a handout that has all of that, but here I'll just label the grammatical relationships the NP in the relative clause can have.

                                                Wh-     that    0
Subject                                 +        +      -
Direct Object                           +        +      +
Object of a Preposition                 +        +      +
Object of Preposed Preposition  +        -      -
Genitive                                        +        -      -
Object of a Comparative Particle        +        -      -

What the table indicates is that "that" and 0 relatives are the same thing, with the exception that we generally want to have either "that" or the subject expressed.

There's a difference in science between what we can't exlain and what's not explainable.  What we can't explain is what directs our research.  What's not explainable generally ends up in literature and religion, two fields I do not disdain.  The fact, for example, that there can be no proof for the existence of God does not prevent me from believing.  It's simply not subject to science.  (Reading theology is a bit of a pastime of mine, especially now that I'm retired, and rigorous argument is possible even where empirical testing is not.)  On the other hand, the fact that we cannot now reconstruct languages back much beyond about 10,000 years represents the current limits of our knowledge.  I expect some clever grad student doing historical linguistics will blow through this limit sometime.

Earlier biologists didn't reject "prey" and "predator" as crucial concepts because they were dense or stubborn but because the empirical evidence hadn't yet developed.  It took the work of some of the great 19th and early 20th c. ecologists to provide that evidence, and once it was provided most biologists accepted the results with aplomb.  Scientists don't hesitate to change their theories when the evidence points in that direction; to do otherwise is bad science.  But ecologists persuaded biologists on the basis of empirical evidence.  Science dissolves into mysticism and worse without a solid grip on empirical methodology.

It's been a great discussion, and I admire the aplomb with which you argue an untenable position!

Herb