ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:07:23 -0700
Of course, there is the even more basic problem facing many of us: students
who are unable to identify verbs. It seems to me that this problem precedes
the inability to conjugate verbs. It is a very real problem among American
high school students from all "groups" (ethnicities, socio-econmic
backgrounds, dialectical backgrounds, etc.).

It still worries me that the biggest factor underlying the problem is the
lack of self-motivated, self-directed reading among our students. Is there
any evidence?

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School