ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 20:49:42 -0500
Bill said

"They do want prescriptive rules, although I think it's important to keep in mind that they've *learned* to want them"

This is true, but mustn't the development of the brain also play a role in determining when students are ready to think about choices on a "meta" level and not depend so much on the concreteness provided by prescriptive rules?

And also (though this may already be implicit in Bill's point about hegemony), to the extent that students' felt need for rules is learned, it seems likely that is is learned in many contexts beyond English classes. This is what I thought was interesting about Baron's "grammar fundamentalist" example; that student seemed to be taking a prescriptivist orientation learned in another context (in her case, a religious context) and transferring it to her thinking about language.

If new teachers are meeting students who have cultural and possibly neurological reasons to feel a real need for prescriptions, it's not surprising that those teachers are trying to meet that need, even if they they have learned that descriptivist grammar ultimately makes more sense. They're trying to "meet students where they are," as teachers are taught to do.

I wonder if some teachers are resorting to "false propositions" because they never learned enough "true propositions" (in the form of well-grounded but more-or-less prescriptive rules) from English education and linguistics professors who were understandably eager to teach more mature and sophisticated approaches to language. I think Craig's point about explicitly teaching "standard English" as such is helpful here; if we can ask students to distinguish standard English from other registers, maybe we can give them something like the rules they want without falsely teaching them that these rules are universal.

Brian