ATEG Archives

January 2000

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 00:29:11 -0600
"Paul E. Doniger" wrote:

> I am puzzled by your recent posting. Do any of us not realize that there is
> a world of difference between first and second language acquisition and
> learning? I think we do.

I recommend a reading of the following Krashen, S. (1994). The input
hypothesis and its rivals.  In N. Ellis (ed.) Implicit and explicit
learning of languages  (pp. 45-78).  San Diego: Academic Press for an
example of someone who mixes evidence from first language acquisition
and second language acquisition to make important claims about second
language acquisition.   It has apparently gotten even worse.  Just this
week on flteach-l, Krashen made claims about chimp acquisition of
language to support his input hypothesis. I refer to the following post:

[Krashen post