ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:03:12 -0500
Craig -

I think we're on the same page.

My point, perhaps poorly put, was that NCTE by their rhetorical construction
make it appear that they are grammar friendly even if they are, as you put
it, "deeply biased against grammar . . . reduc(ing) it to the trivial, both
in substance and instruction" (nicely put!).  The strength of their position
is that they make us out to be the Gradgrinds of the world.

Indeed, even though the Post article appears to be "grammar friendly", it
too assumes the same rhetorical stance as NCTE.  Mr. Greiner does not seem
to recognize, as you state, that grammar is "an integral part of the
construction of meaning."  Sure, it's important to capitalize "southwest"
and to put an apostrophe in "its" as a contraction and to spell "grammar"
correctly.  But I don't think that's at the heart of what we're talking
about.

Nor do I think that "repair(ing) broken sentences, an exercise with all the
glamor of a linguistic assembly line" (the work of Mr. Greiner's class
according to the Post) is what we have in mind either.  This is still the
"grammar police" metaphor ("You got caught speeding through that paragraph,
so now you have to go to grammar school!").

And even though the "grammar in context" crowd make it appear that they
value grammar, Weaver et. al. don't even give us the honor of being "grammar
police" - they relegate grammar instruction to the linguistic equivalient of
garbage pick-up where we become "trash collectors" whose job it is to clean
up otherwise lovely little essays.

How do we retake the rhetorical high ground to win this battle?

Geoff