ATEG Archives

June 2007

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:56:08 -0500
Kathleen is right--being an "infinitive," the expression does not
participate in "tense." However, the construction you discuss,
Janet--"to have quit"--is an "infinitive phrase," and so, as noted, can
have different forms (I guess it might be correct to call this
"aspect"--not sure). In English, they are usually called perfect,
progressive, and passive. "To have quit" is usually called the "perfect"
form of the infinitive.

I could be wrong, but I don't think other languages differ on this. I
suspect that the other grammars are simply mistaken in their
terminology.

Tim

Timothy D. Hadley
Assistant Professor of Professional Writing
English Department
Missouri State University
Springfield, MO 65897
office 417.836.5332, fax 417.836.4226