ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:13:47 -0700
Believe it or not, I am acquainted with Gricean implicature, etc., but neglected this unfortunate use of the term "non-logical inference."  I apologize.  I suppose I could not take it seriously enough as significantly different at base.  It distances social rules of implicature from logical operations.  For me they are one and the same, just based on different assumptions.  Just because we broaden the basis of analysis, many think to justify the introduction of a new theory.  Grice's maxims help us to broaden our consideration of assumptions to facts about the concepts and acts of communication itself.  When we move to other modes of communication, we bring language and its grammar with us.  When we move about in language analysis, I think we necessarily bring logic with us, even if we choose to call it something else.