ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Pam Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:38:28 -0500
Bob and Judy and all,

Rather than deal with actors etc., I simplify sentences for basic writers at a
community college by telling them that subjects and predicates connect to explain
who is doing what or what is happening.   We can look at these two parts as the
two slots of a sentence: the subject slot and the predicate slot.  Whether the
subject and predicate slots are long or short, they give the same kind of
information.  The subject gives the topic of the sentence, telling us who or
what.  The predicate answers the question: what about it?

This simple formula works for Bob's sentences below, and it works for my students
who gain a firm handle on the basic sentence.  I advocate it not necessarily for a
thorough systemic grammar beginning in third grade, but it makes sense to my
students.   Pam

Pam Dykstra
South Suburban College
15800 S. State Street