ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:21:04 -0500
Bruce,
     I thought immediately of the Brando character in On The Waterfront:
"I could have been a contender." It might be that Caesar was never
crowned, but could have been, if only.....  What I know of history would
make that unlikely. but the syntax makes it possible.
     Maybe Caesar is the name of a highly regarded Poodle. He could have
been crowned were it not for that unfortunate interaction with the judge.
     I think we do harm when we call a sentence a "complete thought."
Without the context, it's hard to conjecture, and that context would
certainly include the surrounding sentences.
    I agree. Ambiguity enters at all levels, including syntax.

Craig