ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:41:16 -0500
Just chiming in on the previous point --

One of the motivations behind adopting the term "absolute" for this kind
of phrase was that there is no *required* grammatical linkage between
the absolute and the rest of the sentence; in older grammatical
theories, the absolute wasn't "governed" by anything (it's modeled, I
think, on a Latin construction about which the same kind of argument was
made).

That having been said, absolute phrases seem so similar to participial
phrases that readers are probably more comfortable with them if they
*do* include a linker, especially those readers who are conscious of --
or have been sternly admonished to -- avoid dangling modifiers. I know
that it takes me some time in my grammar classes to get the majority of
students to see a distinction between absolutes and participials (and
I'm not sure that the time needed is well spent). Of course, if the
first sentence of this paragraph didn't bother you, the perceived
similarity might not have that strong an effect.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University