ATEG Archives

March 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:55:13 -0500
Bill,
    What is useful about complement is that you can almost make it verb
specific. "What kind of meaning often comes with "worry."" We have a
worrier and some thing to be worried about. We can also "worry that."
And how about "You are going to worry yourself sick," which would be a
complex transitive pattern that feels very natural to me. "You are
going to worry your poor mother to death."
    When you ask what "worry" means, it makes sense to include its
grammatical range, which is not at all closed in by its past meanings.
New uses can expand its possibilities.

Craig>

 Herb et al.: