ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 16:08:50 -0500
Bruce and Herb,

Based on reactions by students to the traditional terms, as well as on my desire to set up some scaffolding for later points in the course, I find myself wanting to just say that verbs have two tensed forms (past and present) and three tenseless ones (base form, -ing form, and non-ing form; with the usual provision that for regular verbs, the non-ing form looks like the past). The problem with this, of course, is that however well this would work internally, it wouldn't help students read reference grammars later. Still...even "-en participle" seems to cause trouble, since the great majority of those forms don't have an -en -- the label sets up a false expectation. Every book I've ever seen that uses the "-en" label immediately warns the reader about the lack of -en in most cases, but this never seems to stick. Emphasizing the tenseless bit sets up finite vs. nonfinite for later (at which point I'd still want to say tensed vs. tenseless, out of a drive for consistency).

---- Bill Spruiell