ATEG Archives

August 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:31:00 -0400
A pliers, a scissors, a forceps.  A lot of these get used with "pair of" or some other partitive expression, so we have "a pair of pants" but not usually "a pants."  We tend to think of the -s on nouns as solely marking plural, but can also mark a collective with singular agreement, as in "games," "billiards," or "measles."  It can also simply lose its plural function as in the first three examples above.  I did a paper a couple of years ago in the journal Word on another, previously unnoted use of -s, to form nominalizations, as in "dependence," "news," "marksman" and many others.  (Don't let the spelling of "-nce" words mislead; they end in an -s.)  Unfortunately, school grammars tend to oversimplify what the -s suffix can do to a noun.

Herb