ATEG Archives

February 1999

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 12:32:14 -0800
There's a lot to be said for a set of terms that gets away from the
prescriptivism, arbitrariness, and boredom that Judy Diamondstone points
out have come to be associated with traditional grammar terminology in the
minds of many students.  On the other hand, the traditional terms have
undergone a lot of examination, refinement, and sub-classification that is
not mere hairsplitting, and I wonder about starting off on a new set of
terms that will presumably need to go through a similar process of
extended examination before they can begin to account for the different
and complex ways in which words are used.  In the sentence, "Love is
blind," callling "love" the "actor" -- not to mention "actant" -- isn't
going to make mu ch more sense to my students than calling it a noun or a
subject.