ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 21:32:32 -0500
Craig,

Thanks for a typically lucid and thoughtful posting.  I didn't take up Baron's equating transformational grammar, even indirectly, with the theory of evolution, although there is much that we do know that is every but that sound.  We just don't have clear mechanisms we can expound on like natural selection.  The problem with all linguistic theories to date is that they are vastly more underdetermined by the data than evolution was when Darwin spelled it out a century and a half ago.  There have been moves in the direction of "evidence-based linguistics," I see corpus-based studies moving in that direction as well, but we're still a long ways off from an evidence-based, empirically testable, highly predictive theory of language.  What our existing theories do that is of value, and this is of considerable value, is provide us with a framework for analyzing data, even though what constitutes data is itself somewhat theory-dependent.

For linguists who study language with scientific rigor and are more concerned with description and theory than with pedagogy, it's not particularly a problem that theories fail.  We expect them to.  In fact, that's what we have them for, to make them fail so we can learn more and devise stronger theories.  But that is the work of science, and it doesn't make for effective pedagogy, as Paul Roberts demonstrated so clearly for us four decades ago.  Even Chomsky, in an early interview, recommended traditional grammar (Jespersen, et al.) as a much better basis for pedagogy than syntactic theory.  I suppose I feel a bit like a Tea Partier must feel:  I know better what I'm against than what I'm for.  And I'm against pedagogy based either on prescriptivism or on any specific theory of language.  I am for pedagogy that draws carefully on the findings of linguistic theories as well as on research into pedagogy and into rhetoric.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University