ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:29:50 -0500
At 06:26 p.m. 10/08/2009, Brad Johnston wrote:
>I asked a young person . . . to write a 300-word essay on any
>subject. . . . "what I did this summer".
>  This is the result. Would some of you who are familiar with the
> grade level please tell me where this effort might rank with those
> of similar pedigree? An approximate percentile would be most helpful.
>  Secondly, would you correct it or praise it, uncorrected, for the
> simple accomplishment? I will try for more in either event. . . .

DD: The student did complete the mission, I gather no penalty for
exceeding the goal of 300 words. It did describe what he did. Meets
the goal assigned so at least a C, mentally. I'd fault for awkward
phrasing, but it least it wasn't in tweet talk or Iphoneisms. I
understood his message clearly. I'd give a B, mentally. If I were
tutoring, I'd note each item that needs attention, to bring up later
as I went on with the instruction. Sort of pep talk, "Very good for
an entering Junior. You have talent, and I think together we can
raise you up to the level of a College student, this year." As to
percentile, I'd say 80th percentile.
I showed this to my daughter who is fairly high up in a Vanderbilt
Research Lab. She independently said 85%.
Her Daughter, trying out as a school teacher's assistant also said 80% to 85%.
For what it is worth, if I had turned that in at Knoxville High
School in the late 1940's, I'd have been relegated to  the Vocational
High School. I asked a University of Tennessee Ornimental
Horticulture and Landscape Design Graduate about that sod. She said
the term is usually laying sod, not putting it. Thought that term
might be regional.
I thank you for sharing this. I get warped dealing with all above
average IQ's at the Hybrid School.