ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Ruth Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:08:05 -0500
Correct me if I am misunderstanding, but it seems to me that a combination
of the two (utilitarian and theoretical) is appropriate.  If a basic
understanding of grammar is taught in the formative years (sentence
diagraming, which demands an understanding of terminology, which lends
itself to correct punctuation, etc.), then it seems a natural progression
for the advanced high school student and the college student to be taught
"grammar as a subject of study, akin to bio, math, chem..."  With a strong
foundation in grammar rules, the theoretical aspect would seem to be the
natural progression of things.  Without the "basics," however, is it really
possible for a student to "understand language in a more profound way?"    I
realize, of course, this line of thought unrealistically assumes that every
student arrives at the advanced high school/college stage with a strong
grammatical foundation.  Why is it that things always look better on
"paper?"

~Ruth