ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:57:42 -0500
Johanna,
In general, I wouldn't argue with your position, especially as regards a
fairly introductory or school based grammar. But we do, in fact, play
roles all the time as teacher, husband, President, friend, and so on,
and I do think this is very much what is meant by linking verbs. To see
that I am being a teacher is not the same as saying the teacher is me.
Assigning things to categories is also an active process, and it is a
different kind of meaning to say that X is a member of a category than
it is to say a member of a category is X. I like Halliday's approach
mainly because it got me thinking about those kinds of meanings. If it
doesn't work for you, there's no harm done. Active versus passive may
indeed stretch those catgories too far. I brought it up in response to
Herb's comment, to explain that there might be some sense in the
distinction worth thinking about.

Craig