ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:03:32 -0400
Hi,

I'll try to clarify what may be your slight misunderstanding (only
slight).  In my book Teaching Grammar in Context, I didn't discuss, or
mean to discuss, whether I reject traditional grammar per se.  I was
objecting to the formal TEACHING of grammar as it has conventionally
been done.

As far as my own convictions on the adequacy of traditional schoolroom
grammar, I have long known it was inadequate, and I fought to avoid some
of its inadequacies in working on that grammar series I mentioned.  No
luck; the publishers won (the marketing division, not the editor that
hired me, who I think genuinely wanted me to include linguistic
insights).  I think you're right that my book suggests I've virtually
given up that particular fight in working with schools and publishers,
despite my background in linguistics.  Thus "She stops short of
endorsing traditional grammar, and yet her book actually allows for the
teaching of most or all concepts within grammar theory" seems
essentially accurate to me, though I remember trying to weave
structural, transformational, and even functional grammar insights into
my explanations here and there, especially in the glosssary.

Connie Weaver
Western Michigan University