ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
diane skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:39:10 -0700
Hi all,

Klammer, Schulz, and Volpe, in Analyzing English Grammar, 4th ed. use
the following definitions for intransitive verbs:
"You can test whether a verb is intransitive by dividing the predicate
into phrases. If all the phrases except the main verb phase are
optional adverbial modifiers, then the verb is intransitive. If you
can substitute a prototypical adverb (like here, then, or slowly) for
the phrase, it is an adverbial phrase.
Ex: The bus stops here each Monday" (p.203).

To explain transitive verbs, they write: (1) "Are the subject noun
phrase (NP) the actor, the verb and action, and the object NP the
'receiver' of the action? if the answer is yes (as in John hit Bill,
where hitting is an action, John performs the action, and Bill
receives the action), then the sentence is probably Type V [i.e.,
contains a transitive verb].
(2) "To find the direct object, ask who? or what? after the subject
noun phrase and verb: John saw who/what? If the answer does not rename
the subject, it should be the direct object" (p. 221).
(3) "Is the verb followed by a direct object, a noun phrase that has a
referent different from that of the subject noun phrase? if so, the
sentence [contains a transitive verb]" (227).

Additionally, they include examples of transitive verbs with reflexive
and reciprocal direct objects: "Elmer cut himself with a Swiss Army
knife" (222),
and transitive verbs with object complements: "Cheryl considered
Carl's bean soup salty" (223).

Grammar is so much fun!!
Diane