ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 10:13:01 -0500
Dan,

Here is my answer to your question.  Of course, 6th graders can handle
the "abstract nature" of grammar.

You can demonstrate this very easily.  Do an exercise with Mad Libs.
I suspect that students will get most of the word forms correct for any
one blank.  If that is the case, then it suggests they know something
about word categories.

You can also give students pairs of sentences: one standard and one not
a possible sentence.  Again, I suspect they will be able to chose the
correct sentence.

Then give them pairs of sentences: one standard and one with an obvious
non-standard form (himself -- hisself) (I saw -- I seen) (She and I
went -- Her and me went) etc.  Ask students to figure out how they are
different. Would a teacher say one versus would X say the other.  Again,
I suspect they will be able to talk about the differences.

Such exercises can lead to forming yes/no questions and tag questions
from declarative sentences.  These exercises can lead to discussion of
what is the grammatical subject and the tensed form such sentences.

Several days ago, I was teaching some 10-11 year old non-native speakers
of English.  I was able to have them make judgements about various pairs
(one grammatical -- one ungrammatical) of English sentences.  They could
do it, so I am sure native speakers can.

And, you might also want to consider nonsense English.  Jabberwocky or
Dr. Seuess is good.  Have the students answer questions about who is
doing what to whom.  Answer to those questions reveal subject,
predicates, object, etc.  Also, such questions reveal they can identify
nouns, verbs, etc.

I have not taught 6th graders, but Mad Libs are written for such an age
group.  I am confident that you can come up with other exercises that
can demonstrate to anyone of your colleagues that such kids can made
judgments about grammar.  If you can, it reveals  that they are capable
of handling the "abstract nature" of grammar.

It is up to us as teachers to design exercises that tap into their
knowledge of grammar.  I hope this helps.

Bob Yates
Central Missouri State University

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/11/06 1:32 PM >>>
I have been a passive member of this Listserv for some time, and I
suspect this topic has been covered before, but I could use a little
information. If only I had kept my old emails. I work in an elementary
school where a sixth grade language arts teacher recently told me that
she does not believe her students are able to handle the abstract nature
of grammar. My suspicion is that she just doesn't want to teach grammar.
Is there something I could lean on--research, position statement,
anything--to support my belief that she is wrong? There is a larger
grammar conversation on the horizon and I would like to know all that I
can about when formal grammar instruction might be introduced.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dan Spector

interface at:

!DSPAM:2252,44638a5c105971922118576!