ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
William McCleary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:36:18 -0700
Johanna,

Yes, I know about the problems of using student work. I have had to
go through the labor of obtaining student permissions several times.
Yet student examples are useful in many ways, especially to show the
various drafts a paper can go through and how a peer can critique a
draft to give advice on how to revise. The need for so many student
papers at various stages in drafting led me to write my own
imitations of student papers. Then I own the paper and can do
anything I want with it. I can even create four or five different
versions of the same paper for use in teaching about the whole
process of going from lists of ideas to semi-final drafts that only
need copy editing.

I do understand the limitations and abuses of dictionaries. I plan to
begin with dictionaries specifically because they are considered the
voice of authority. That is, if dictionaries consider it necessary to
give pronunciations, parts of speech, word histories, etc., that
helps to prove that these things are important and worth knowing.
Then when we make the bridge from dictionaries to actual texts,
students begin with some technical knowledge as well as their
intuitions in their examinations of words in the texts. One would
hope that they also see the limitations of dictionaries, especially
the definitions, so that they lose a little respect for the authority
of dictionaries.

I recognize the need for something between the dictionary and the
real text. That's where exercises to give students immediate practice
in what they have observed might be helpful.  We shall see.

However, I won't know if this approach will work until we try it in
someone's class. If it doesn't work very well, we modify it or try
something else. Since I don't know of anyone who has tried this kind
of global approach to language I have in mind, much experimentation
will be necessary before we decide whether it can be done.

And if it's not fun for kids to do, then I won't care to use it
whether it works or not. It need not be fun-fun (whoopee! yee-haw!),
but it at least needs to be the kind of intellectual puzzle that kids
can enjoy working on. We have to keep in mind that some kids are not
language-oriented--more interested in physcial activity or music or
art, etc.--and do not find language games to be all that interesting.
We need an approach which will appeal to them and not just to
language buffs like us.

Bill